ADL/AOM 1.5 - id-codes unification - the final change

Diego Boscá yampeku at gmail.com
Thu Jan 2 04:41:09 EST 2014

Made a comment on the wiki page, but I will copy that here too:

Still thinking about this, but I have a first doubt:

What is the result of generating the standard equivalent ADL for this ADL
code? (from the example)

ELEMENT[id31] occurrences matches {0..1} matches {
                                        value matches {
                                            DV_CODED_TEXT[id5002] matches {
                                                defining_code matches {
                                                    [local::
                                                    at31,     -- Naked
                                                    at32,     --
Reduced clothing/bedding
                                                    at33,     --
Appropriate clothing/bedding
                                                    at34;     --
Increased clothing/bedding
                                                    at0033]    -- Assumed
                                                }
                                            }
                                        }
                                    }

Do atxx codes get changed to id codes magically or just new idxx are
generated? new idxx codes or id500x ones? new objects added to the 1.5
archetype should always have id50xx?

I'm still wondering if the at000N => idN+1 rule and the id5000 rule are a
good idea. I see a lot of potential problems and not much benefits:

I don't really think that keeping a at->id correspondence is a critical
issue: The user defining archetypes shouldn't even be aware of the changes,
and if we want reuse current systems, things like AQL paths should still
had to be rewritten to deal with the missing atxx codes, so not much
benefit of having a rule for direct translation.

My suggestion is to keep things as simple as possible and just put idxx
codes where needed. Maybe it's a good idea to use the at000N => idN+1 rule,
but for the missing ones I would just make another pass and put new idxx
codes starting from the last idxx code we assigned on the first pass. As
the 1.4 to 1.5 process only has to be done once, I think it's better to
make two passes to the original archetype and just put new idxx codes from
now on.

I'm not a fan of having different ranges of id with different meanings.
With templates being archetypes I won't discard having idxxxx with values
dangerously near to 5000...