AQL ANTLR4-grammar

Bert Verhees bert.verhees at rosa.nl
Mon Aug 24 01:53:10 EDT 2015

I wrote this a bit confusing, too late at night and on my mobile (small
screen).

The idea I wanted to write is that with Antlr4, you can write a grammar,
without knowing the purpose of the grammar. If it is used to write a
query engine, or if it is used to write a translator from AQL to XQuery
or even SQL. It makes no difference for the grammar. This is the first
grammar tool ever, which has this feature. All other grammar-tools, also
the previous versions of Antlr, and JJ (used for ADL before) needed
code-fragments in the grammar and were, in this way, bound to the target
purpose.

So because a grammar can serve anyone, because the grammar is purpose
independent, we can all benefit from this idea from Erik.

That was what I wanted to write yesterday.

Excuse me for any confusing.