difference and relationship between openEHR and EN13606

Ian McNicoll ian at freshehr.com
Wed Aug 26 08:44:21 EDT 2015

Hi Bert,

"I would leave it with: AQL is an archetype bound query language, and every
system which is build on archetypes is able to implement AQL."

That is fair enough but we were asked to characterise the differences
between 13606 and openEHR and I am comfortable that the actual and formal
adoption of AQL is one of those  differences.

AQL is on the openEHR specifications roadmap but AFAIK this is not the case
for 13606. Of course that does not stop 13606 vendors implementing AQL but
in terms of actual differences between the 2 communities the adoption, or
intention to adopt AQL seems (from the outside) somewhat different both at
a practical and formal level.

Although AQL adoption in the openEHR community is far from universal, most
of the vendors/developers that I have spoken to see it as something they
want to implement, particularly as GDL is somewhat dependent on AQL.

I am just trying to ascertain if there is similar enthusiasm/intention
amongst 13606 vendors, or if AQL forms part of the current 13606 refresh
discussions.

mobile +44 (0)775 209 7859
office +44 (0)1536 414994
skype: ianmcnicoll