difference and relationship between openEHR and EN13606

Sebastian Garde sebastian.garde at oceaninformatics.com
Wed Aug 26 08:57:01 EDT 2015

I'd agree with Ian here.
While both could possibly support AQL, the difference I see is in
intent, scope and actual implementation.
As Gerard says, 13606's main aim is to communicate between IT-systems
and for this, AQL may not be quite as fundamental as it is to openEHR.

Sebastian

On 26.08.2015 14:44, Ian McNicoll wrote:
> Hi Bert,
>
> "I would leave it with: AQL is an archetype bound query language, and
> every system which is build on archetypes is able to implement AQL."
>
> That is fair enough but we were asked to characterise the differences
> between 13606 and openEHR and I am comfortable that the actual and
> formal adoption of AQL is one of those  differences.
>
> AQL is on the openEHR specifications roadmap but AFAIK this is not the
> case for 13606. Of course that does not stop 13606 vendors
> implementing AQL but in terms of actual differences between the 2
> communities the adoption, or intention to adopt AQL seems (from the
> outside) somewhat different both at a practical and formal level.
>
> Although AQL adoption in the openEHR community is far from universal,
> most of the vendors/developers that I have spoken to see it as
> something they want to implement, particularly as GDL is somewhat
> dependent on AQL.
>
> I am just trying to ascertain if there is similar enthusiasm/intention
> amongst 13606 vendors, or if AQL forms part of the current 13606
> refresh discussions.
>
> Ian
>

> Dr Ian McNicoll
> mobile +44 (0)775 209 7859
> office +44 (0)1536 414994
> skype: ianmcnicoll
> email: ian at freshehr.com <mailto:ian at freshehr.com>
> twitter: @ianmcnicoll
>
> Co-Chair, openEHR Foundation ian.mcnicoll at openehr.org
> <mailto:ian.mcnicoll at openehr.org>
> Director, freshEHR Clinical Informatics Ltd.
> Director, HANDIHealth CIC
> Hon. Senior Research Associate, CHIME, UCL
>
> On 26 August 2015 at 13:28, Bert Verhees <bert.verhees at rosa.nl
> <mailto:bert.verhees at rosa.nl>> wrote:
>
>     On 26-08-15 14:23, Ian McNicoll wrote:
>
>         but am not aware of any non-openEHR
>         implementations
>
>     Is there a Xhosa implementation of 13606 or OpenEHR?
>
>     Does that mean OpenEHR or 13606 are not able to support Xhosa?
>
>     I would leave it with: AQL is an archetype bound query language,
>     and every system which is build on archetypes is able to implement
>     AQL.

*Dr. Sebastian Garde*
/Dr. sc. hum., Dipl.-Inform. Med, FACHI/
Ocean Informatics

Skype: gardeseb

---