difference and relationship between openEHR and EN13606

Kalra, Dipak d.kalra at ucl.ac.uk
Wed Aug 26 10:33:49 EDT 2015

Dear All,

This is an interesting discussion, and I would like to stress the complementarity of the two.

openEHR is, as others have said, an important consolidator of the state-of-the-art in best practices for the design of an electronic health record architecture, repositories and the underpinning of EHR systems. An important advantage is that it specifications are publicly accessible, and of course it has a vibrant community and a large number of tools to support its use.

13606 has always had a good relationship with openEHR, but is primarily intended to be an interface standard between heterogeneous EHR systems, and is therefore optimised for that purpose (e.g. for mappings), which means its reference model is definitely simpler. There are many countries and situations where it is essential to have a formal international standard in order for it to be acceptable as part of a national strategy. Some vendors have also indicated that they like the inevitable stability of a standard, which changes infrequently. 13606 also has a community and tools, and of course many of its community are also part of openEHR, and vice versa.

If one takes a high-level look at the many different globally-used representations of health data, it is easy to see that these two reference models are indeed very similar. Whilst near to the ground we can easily be tempted to focus on their minor differences, I believe it is of greater value to society and to our field if we can regard them - and champion them - as a mutually reinforcing pair of models.

The specification of archetypes is very mature, and during the revision we expect to upgrade to the latest AOM (which is 2.0). This part of the standard will also remain focused on a logical representation supporting archetype interchange.

As has been pointed out, AQL could in theory have been added to the standard, since it could “work" with 13606. However, another important imperative for a standard is that it has reached a sufficient level of maturity and stability. It was also felt important by the working groups of CEN and ISO that we do not introduce something very novel into this revision process. I did suggest that we consider adding a sixth part to the standard to support the distributed analysis of electronic health records (such as communicating queries). It was felt wiser, and I support this view, not to introduce something new to these five parts of the standard, but once it has finished its revision to propose a new work item to CEN and ISO on the querying of EHRs. AQL will inevitably be an important contribution to that new work item, and hopefully by the time we are ready for it the AQL specification will be very mature and there will be much more experience of its use, making it an ideal specification to standardise.

Thank you all for your excellent contributions in different areas of EHR representation, communication and implementation - to keep advancing our field and the quality of EHRs world wide.

With best wishes,

Dipak
Dipak Kalra
Clinical Professor of Health Informatics
Centre for Health Informatics and Multiprofessional Education
University College London

President, The EuroRec Institute
Honorary Consultant, The Whittington Hospital NHS Trust, London