difference and relationship between openEHR and EN13606

Thomas Beale thomas.beale at oceaninformatics.com
Thu Aug 27 13:54:58 EDT 2015

On 26/08/2015 16:46, Erik Sundvall wrote:
> Hi!
>
> Where can one find proposals/diagrams describing the refreshed RM
> (reference model) in the new 13606 revision? Will 13606 keep using the
> old data types or harmonize more with CIMI or OpenEHR?
>
> Is there now consensus/majority regarding using ADL/AOM 2.0 for 13606?
> If so, great!
>
> When it comes to "simplifying" the RM (or perhaps moving complexity to
> another meta/design-pattern layer) I think CIMI has gone further than
> 13606. Are there any plans of aligning 13606 with CIMI?

I would suggest that CIMI has been simiplified to the point of not being
directly usable as an RM by openEHR or 13606 - most of the needed
context information is gone in CIMI, and it doesn't distinguish any kind
of 'Entry' or clinical statement.

This was a conscious choice in the CIMI community, designed to get
buy-in from a much wider range of stakeholders than openEHR or 13606
deals with. Technically, the CIMI approach is to soft-model nearly
everything in 'reference archetypes'.