Archetype relational mapping - a practical openEHR persistence solution

Erik Sundvall erik.sundvall at liu.se
Fri Feb 12 12:26:09 EST 2016

Hi Birger and all!

Our colleagues at the department of computer science here at Linköping
University started exploring storage of archetyped data using Hadoop and a
index variant releated to dewey-encoding. Dewey-style-encoding reminds of
what Thomas mentioned regarding Informix previously in this discussion
thread. (Look at for example the beginning of
http://www.inf.unibz.it/dis/teaching/ATA/ata5-handout-2x2.pdf to see a bit
of Dewey-style-encoding)

The researcher (Fang Wei-Kleiner) moved to USA before anything was
published, but since there seems to be renewed interest in the topic, we're
playing with the idea of submitting something about the initial experiments
(for MIE now if we have time), would that be of interest to read do you
think?

Also there is an openEHR-storage related paper by Sergio Frerie et.al. that
has been accepted and soon will be published: "Comparing the Performance of
NoSQL Approaches for Managing Archetype-Based Electronic Health Record
Data". I think that Sergio will annonce that here when final publication is
finished. Hint from that paper: Couchbase is an interesting approach to
explore more if you are looking for openEHR-performance...

Another thing - regarding XML databases do read our old paper (
http://www.ep.liu.se/ecp/070/009/ecp1270009.pdf) and include BaseX in your
tests if you are experimenting with open source native XML DBs for openEHR,
it preformed well for "clinical" patient-specific querying even though all
xml databases we tested were not suitable for ad hoc epidemiological
population queries (without query specific indexing).

Best regards,
Erik Sundvall
Ph.D. Medical Informatics. Information Architect. Tel: +46-72-524 54 55 (or
010-1036252 in Sweden)
Region Östergötland: erik.sundvall at regionostergotland.se (previously lio.se)
http://www.regionostergotland.se/cmit/
Linköping University: erik.sundvall at liu.se, http://www.imt.liu.se/~erisu/