GDL rules with "age-dependent" reference ranges

Birger Haarbrandt birger.haarbrandt at plri.de
Mon Feb 29 10:58:10 EST 2016

Hi there,

besides of our core acitivities, we recently fiddled a little with GDL
to evaluate, if it might be of use for a decision support project in the
context of a pediatric ICU. One challenge with guidelines in pediatric
patients is that the reference ranges of variables depent on the age of
a patient at the time of the clinical event.

In SPARQL/SWRL (as in XML) I can easily calculate the number of days
between the birth of a patient and the clinical event by simply subtract
the datetime of the event from the datetime of the birth. The result is
of type "duration".

In the data types information model specs it says:

"For example, two dates can be subtracted, but the result is a duration,
not another date. For this reason, the operations add, subtract and diff
are defined rather than ‘+’ or ‘-’. Date/time types, as well as the relative
concept duration, are defined in the Date Time Package on page 54." and

"The DV_DURATION class is used for expressing durations of clinical
phenomena and differences
between absolute times"

So I expect this to work identically.

If I try this operation using the test function of the GDL Editor, the
result test set for any example data entry is empty. I made a CDS
archetype with an element of type Duration to store the result. In GDL
it looks as follows:

rules = <
             ["gt0025"] = (RULE) <
                 when = <"$gt0024!=null",...>
                 then =
<"$gt0026.create($gt0028.value=($gt0024.value-$gt0019.value))",...>
                 priority = <1>

Is this a bug or did I miss something?

Any help is really appreciated.

Best,

--
*Birger Haarbrandt, M.Sc.*

Peter L. Reichertz Institut für Medizinische Informatik
Technische Universität Braunschweig und
Medizinische Hochschule Hannover
Mühlenpfordtstraße 23
D-38106 Braunschweig