Usage of Compositoin.Category

Ivar Yrke iyr at dips.no
Fri Mar 11 04:39:35 EST 2016

Hi
An interesting discussion that touches the very concept of structured information, in my opinion. I wonder if the suggested solution looks at the problem from the best angle. So here is my angle:

As a person with some SQL experience I would expect an AQL to return ONLY primary content unless told otherwise. Any content that lives in a Composition as a link I would not expect to see in that Composition as an entry. Resolving links is a task for the level "above" (rendering on a screen etc.). I can see that there possibly are needs for an AQL that resolves links, but I would rather see this as the special case, much like joining in foreign keys in SQL is an explicit decision (the SQL analogy have some obvious flaws!)

Why is this important? Because showing linked information in compositions where they were not originally recorded creates doubt about the origin of the information (source of truth). The duplication that Bjørn wants to solve is a symptom of un unhealthy structure that undermines an essential aspect of structured information. If a summary composition, like a discharge letter, only links information from other composition, there should be no duplication. So there should not be any need for later  special handling. There should be no problem to solve (well, there would be the need for the optional resolving, but this would be a feature rather than a problem).

AQL should relate only to the data and how they are recorded, not to how they are used.

With regards,
Ivar Yrke
Senior systemutvikler
DIPS ASA