RM Participations name/role?

Thomas Beale thomas.beale at openehr.org
Wed Nov 23 11:32:47 EST 2016

Hi Silje,

The PARTICIPATION class
<http://www.openehr.org/releases/RM/latest/docs/common/common.html#_overview_3>
has a codable attribute 'function' for this purpose (calling it
'function' rather than 'role' came from 13606). It may be that you want
to state a 'role' as well, i.e. to say that a certain /kind of person/
is required, and then use function to state the actual function that
person is supposed to do in the particular activity in question.

I would have expected 'function' to be sufficient for your example -
just use 2 x other_participations on the OBSERVATION.

An example of needing both could be something like:

  * role = nurse
  * function = foley catheterisation

Currently 'role' is only known in the demographic model, i.e. on the
other side of the PARTY_PROXY.external_ref link. It may make sense to
add a role attribute to PARTICIPATION at some point if we need to
distinguish the type of person (qualification) from what they do in the
activity.

- thomas