AOM 1.4 - Archetype.uid a UUID or OID?

Bert Verhees bert.verhees at rosa.nl
Thu Jun 15 03:32:30 EDT 2017

Although the OID and UUID as used in the archetypes are (in the most
simple (one arc) OID-occurrence) technical interchangeable is their
semantical meaning completely different. So what do we want to express
here? Is it ever used in the way a OID is meant to be used? (to trace
back the organization that is responsible for creating/maintaining the
archetype and assign a purpose/meaning to the archetype)

The OID is a paper tiger, it suggests something, with structured
meaning, but no organization I know has the overhead of maintaining
useful use of OID's in archetypes implemented. That is why, also, they
do not occur in CKM and no-one ever complained about that, for ten
years. No software I know is interpreting the arcs of the OID in the
uid-property of an archetype, it would run into trouble when it did. The
tooling (including CKM) has no way to support administrative overhead.

That the use of OID in the uid-property of archetypes is not useful, is
illustrated by replacing the OID by a UUID in ADL/AOM 2.0.x

When remaining to the OID in 1.4.x, we create an illusion, we suggest
some structure in the uid-property which is not there. In fact opposite,
we suggest that all archetypes are to be maintained by different
organizations because they have a different uid and only one arc.

The problem I have is that the current situation with OID in the
uid-property corrupts the administrative use. We write a UUID, we call
it OID but we treat it as a UUID, because the practical use does not
allow to see it as a meaningful structure.

Bert