openEHR-technical Digest, Vol 64, Issue 19

Thomas Beale thomas.beale at openehr.org
Thu Jun 15 07:11:57 EDT 2017

Hi William,

this issue here is a specific one about machine identifiers for
archetypes. There is no need to use OIDs for that purpose, although the
1.4 specification allows both OIDs and UUIDs.

There is no use in identifying SNOMED CT with an OID. SNOMED CT
identifies itself with URIs, i.e.  the following, from the SNOMED URI
standard
<http://doc.ihtsdo.org/download/doc_UriStandard_Current-en-US_INT_20140527.pdf>:

http://snomed.info/sct/{sctid} e.g.
http://snomed.info/sct/900000000000207008 (SNOMED CT International Edition)

http://snomed.info/sct/{sctid}/version/{timestamp}

FHIR also uses URIs, not OIDs, to identify terminology entities. OIDs
were an idea that was pursued in HL7v3 vocabulary and by extension CDA,
but I don't believe they have proven useful. Seeing the following in
data is just not helpful:

codeSystem="2.16.840.1.113883.6.96

None of this is to say that openEHR can't handle OIDs; it can, that's
precisely why it has the OID type
<http://www.openehr.org/releases/trunk/UML/#Diagrams___18_1_83e026d_1433773265358_317377_9216>,
and also HIER_OBJECT_ID type which enables OIDs or UUIDs to be used in a
particular field of a model. But the global trend in identifying all
terminology entities is the URI, not the OID.

- thomas

--
Thomas Beale
Principal, Ars Semantica <http://www.arssemantica.com>