AOM 1.4 - Archetype.uid a UUID or OID?

Thomas Beale thomas.beale at openehr.org
Fri Jun 16 15:12:58 EDT 2017

It's not correct to say that HIER_OBJECT_ID can represent anything. It
can represent ids that are made of a UID root (either a UUID or OID or
domain name or reverse domain name) and a String extension. While the
String part could be abused, it isn't in properly built software. As can
be seen in the model
<http://www.openehr.org/releases/trunk/UML/#Diagrams___18_1_83e026d_1433773265358_317377_9216>,
there quite a few other identifier types as well.

You are right about the error you mention however, we need to fix the
documentation for that.

- thomas

On 16/06/2017 10:05, Bert Verhees wrote:
> I have a few thoughts, although the question has become less urgent to
> me, because I can use the HIER_OBJECT_ID to store a UUID. Which is a
> bit funny, but it is correct following the OpenEHR specs, so I can
> convince others that it is right.
>

> On 16-06-17 01:36, Heath Frankel wrote:
>>
>> No one uses OIDs and this is not the problem.
>>

> I believe that William Goossen is depending on OID's in DCM, in which
> archetypes can play a role. But for his case, he can add a
> description-field, containing a OID. I think that would be better for
> him, because then he can trust that there is always a usable OID in
> the archetypes he refers to and not, like now in 99% of the archetypes
> is the case in the uid-property, a UUID.
>
>> The issue is AOM 1.4 uses the complex type HIER_OBJECT_ID which has a
>> value attribute of type UID while AOM 2.0 uses simple type of UUID.
>>

> I think, best is when there is uniformity in the use of the standard,
> the HIER_OBJECT_ID, which can be anything, with every possible
> semantic meaning does not look right in a standard. As is in the
> definition, the uid serves as a machine-readable identifier equivalent
> to the archetype-id, which is human readable. For this purpose, it
> needs to be unique.
>
> But how hard is it for a computer to check if a ID is unique, when the
> computer must guess what kind of Id is used? I think the definition of
> the uid needs to be tighter. Now it is said in the specs:  uid:
> HIER_OBJECT_ID: "OID identifier of this archetype."
> http://www.openehr.org/releases/AM/Release-2.0.6/docs/AOM1.4/AOM1.4.html#_archetype_class
>
> This is definitely wrong, it can be anything, as long as it fits in
> HIER_OBJECT_ID, which is quite a lot, and my original question was to
> change the specs.**
> And the best thing is to change it to its common practical use, which
> is UUID.
>
> Best regards
> Bert

Thomas Beale
Principal, Ars Semantica <http://www.arssemantica.com>
Consultant, ABD Team, Intermountain Healthcare
<https://intermountainhealthcare.org/>
Management Board, Specifications Program Lead, openEHR Foundation
<http://www.openehr.org>
Chartered IT Professional Fellow, BCS, British Computer Society
<http://www.bcs.org/category/6044>
Health IT blog <http://wolandscat.net/> | Culture blog
<http://wolandsothercat.net/>